Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Always a Catch

Yesterday we made the hour long trip to Loxahatchee to speak to Dr. C. The appointment went well and dh actually liked him better than Dr, D. I am not so sure, but at least he allayed my fears about the LAP TAC. He has never had a loss and had the first documented case of full term twins with a LAP TAC. I was able to see pictures and hear of testimonials. He is quite accomplished and his videos showing the LAP TAC has been presented at conferences all over the world.

On our way out, we stopped by the front desk to inquire about the procedure and the protocol if we decided to use Dr. C. Well, we were told that we must pay $3,500 cash or by Cashiers Checks before the surgery is performed. The rational behind this is that they ensure that they get paid should insurance refuse to pay. This is still so even if V.ista submit in writing that they will pay for the procedure. Once insurance settles the bill (if they settle the bill), our money is refunded to us. We were told that Insurance will approve the procedure but may change their mind (? I am not sure how true that is). Obviously we don't have $3,500 to pay by the time Christmas Break comes around - we have approximately 67% that we can afford to "dispose of".
I asked to speak to the office manager (who coincidentally is his wife) who was out, but was assured she would call me.

Around 4:00 p.m. B. (his wife/office manager) called me. I did not get any "good" vibes from her. In fact she started off by telling me that V.ista will not approve infertility treatments. The first words that came out my mouth were, "I am not infertile". She stated that because it is a LAP procedure, the procedure code is listed an an "infertility" treatment. She went on and on, and the more she spoke, the less I trusted her. She was just saying, I am going to lose another kid, and the insurance won't pay and there is nothing they can do unless I pay (this is even with no knowledge of my medical background or how V.ista operates). Thinking about it now, I wonder if she riled me up on purpose. Hmmmmm.

I was so ticked off, I called the insurance company. The poor girl who answered got blasted (I apologized later of course). I was assured that it would be covered because V.ista has documented proof that a transvaginal cerclage does not work for me. She said that this particular office did not call so they cannot make that determination and she should fill out the paper work and take it from there. She spoke to a supervisor who said the same thing. I then asked about putting money down and they said they had never heard of such a thing.

I then called D. to ask the same thing, and she herself had never heard of such a thing, but could understand as Insurance companies are getting "finicky" at covering some procedures.
My question is, if Insurance approves the procedure, why would they not pay?

SO, at this point, we are waiting. We can afford to come up with the remainder in a month or two, but I refuse to take time off from work in January/February when I should be getting my students ready for standardized testing. This is why December 18th, was ideal, because it was Winter Break. We are going to continue saving, and all being well, we will schedule the surgery during Spring Break. Whether it is with this Dr., or Dr. Davis - I still don't know. Hey, I have a few months to pray and think it over, so no rush.

I am actually okay with this. Yes, it pushes our plans even further back, but at least we have a plan. In addition, we can continue getting our finances in order and for myself, getting fit. (BTW, I have already lost 8lbs! Wohooo!!!!- I was forced to step on the scale at the Dr.'s office yesterday, and to my shock/amazement/awe, my weight had dropped! I guess going to the gym 7 days a week does work), Forgive me, I digress.

Like I was saying, I am okay at waiting as I can stop "obsessing" about it and focus on other things. I am leaving it at His feet, and leaving it in his hands. Who knows he might have something up his sleeves and might show up when I least expect it.
Like the scripture says, "In everything give thanks". Despite "my plans" being postponed, I am still giving thanks for the options I have. My plans are not always his plans.
Keep us in your prayers ladies!

Today is a significant day for me. Today is the last day that I was "innocent" when pregnant with Alyssa-Joy. Today is the last full day that I enjoyed my pregnancy, and was naive to the problems that were to come. It is going to be rough over the next few days, we need your prayers now more than ever.

Also, tomorrow when we should be giving thanks and enjoying the presence of our families, our dear friend and DBM Mattie will be remembering her angel Shyla Joy on what should have been her due date. Please stop by her blog and wish her peace on what is sure to be a tough day. Praying for you Mattie and sending you thoughts of peace!

Where is my expected end?


  1. Thanks for remembering me Marie! I have decided to focus on all that I have to be thankful for today. Take a deep breath and count my blessings.

    Know that I am thinking of you to as this time of year is hard. It really sounds like you are giving it to God. I pray that everything will work out in His timing!

    Big Hugs and Happy Thanksgiving.


  2. Marie, I am glad you are leaving it all in God's hands. A few verses came to my mind and I hope they encourage you: Ephesians 3:20,21

    Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

  3. In my prayers!

    Happy Thanksgiving!!

  4. Prayers for you. I am glad that you have peace with waiting; that is so hard.

    What a nasty person at the new dr's office! I think I would have told her off! I'm sorry she was so nasty to you.

  5. *huge hugs* and prayers coming your way. I am so sorry you had to deal with such a dreadful woman. I will have lots of prayers coming your way as you wait.

    *huge Hug* coming during the time that Alyssa was due.

  6. I am hoping this all works out for you. Will definitely say a prayer!